DUCK DELICACY AT CASTILLO DE MONDA
RECIPE: DUCK BREAST WITH BEETROOT, PARSNIP PUREE AND GRAPEFRUIT (2 PERSONS) FOR THE BEETROOT:
1 large beetroot
Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
Carefully wash the beetroot under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut away the leaves making sure you leave at least 2.5 centimetres of the stalk, preferably a little more.
Place the beets in a large, roomy roasting tin, sprinkle with the olive oil, and roll the beetroot in the oil to make sure they are well covered. Sprinkle with sea salt and thyme.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the beetroots are soft but not shrunken.
Remove the tin from the oven, then leave the beets to cool.
Once cooled, rub the skin away with a piece of kitchen paper; it should come away easily. I also like to wear a pair of rubber gloves when I do this to stop my hands from turning red. Cut away the root and stalks and then use as desired.
FOR THE PARSNIP PUREE:
• Season with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper, then add extra virgin olive oil and pulse once more. Leave to rest in a warm space.
• When the parsnips are cooked, transfer them and half of the milk to a kitchen blender and pulse a few times.
• Put the milk in a pan and start to heat. Once the milk is hot add the peeled parsnip and bay leaves to boil.
Salt and white pepper
2 bay leaves
1 litre milk
FOR THE GRAPEFRUIT:
• Peel the grapefruit and break up in wedges.
• Peel the skin off the wedges. Put aside for serving.
FOR THE DUCK BREAST:
1 large duck breast
• Pre-heat the oven to 160C.
• Score the skin of the duck breast with a sharp knife and season with salt.
• Place the breast skin-side down in a cold non-stick frying pan over a mediumhigh heat. As the fat is released, tilt the pan towards you and use a spoon to remove the liquid.
• Sear the duck breast for approximately six minutes then turn it over and continue to fry for four minutes
• Turn the duck breast on its sides to evenly sear the meat on all surfaces then remove it from the pan. If the meat is not fully cooked at this point, finish it in the oven at 160C for two minutes.
• Allow the duck breast to rest for 10 minutes before serving
Serve with the peeled segments of grapefruit. See photo for an example of serving this dish, or make your own one.
Photos by Peter Staes. Text by Jaap Schaafsma from Hotel-Restaurant Castillo de Monda www.castillodemonda.com